Dec 8, 2008

Part 1 of our Trip

Yes I am going to do it. After shuffling through all of the pictures and memories and am ready to chronicle our trip.

On day one we changed plans last minute and drove the short way through Wyoming into Utah arriving at our destination of Magna, Utah. Kara and the kids had just recently moved into a new home. By recently I think she had spent about a week in the house before we came! It is beautiful and big, and the backyard is incredible. I am way jealous of her gigantic grape vines, numerous fruit trees and large garden space. I am not jealous of all the work that she will be doing to the house! Knowing her it will be done by next summer:) Kara's bridal shower was shortly after our arrival. Nick and the kids went to Jimmy and Molly's house to play with Jacob and Isabel's step siblings (Levi, Stormy, and Malachi) and with their brand new baby kittens. If those kittens survive to be adopted they will be the toughest kittens ever! That's Jimmy and Molly in the picture with Teilee and Landis.

The bridal shower was a blast although I totally forgot to take any pictures! I finally got to meet some of these friends and co-workers that I have heard so much about. Kara's mom (Trina) and sister (April Lynn) were there and it was so fantastic to see them!! Despite the presence of family and even Kara's soon to be mother-in-law, presents were unwrapped, including my gift of fuzzy handcuffs and lingerie. Not to be outdone April Lynn gifted a 'personal massager'. I have to say Kara handled it very well!!:) I just had to share that because it absolutely is the last thing people expect from Kara's family and the 1st thing I love about the whole group. They break the mold and always have a great sense of self and of humor!! The next day while Jacob and Isabel were in school and Kara at work, we visited with Jimmy and Molly briefly before taking a trip out to the Great Salt Lake. We went to Antelope Island and hiked briefly before finding a fantastic, salty beach to explore. The colors of the rocks were amazing. Bright purples and greens stand out amongst the grey. It really is an incredible place. We had a few encounters with some cool spiders, buffalo, jack rabbits, and shore birds. Unfortunately the serenity was constantly interrupted with the sound of airplanes and jets taking off over the Lake. With Landis around every plane noise is an exciting adventure so we were not disturbed too much;)

Of course we had to strip off our shoes and socks (and pants for Teilee) to wade in the shallows. Despite best efforts, jeans and pants all ended up wet and smelly. It was worth it.
Due to our late arrival to the Lake we quickly headed back to Kara's for a calm evening at home. That evening we were able to get some much needed one-on-one time to catch up, laugh, cry, and remember how great it is to be around Kara (and her family). At this point we were still anxious to meet the hubby-to-be Isaac. I did begin to wonder if he was a mythical creature. That night the kids passed out from having soooo much fun! In the coming days we were looking forward to Kara and Isaac's receptions, their wedding, and getting to spend more time with our Jacob and Isabel!
Coming soon....Part 2: The Receptions


*Kara* said...

I'm so excited to hear the rest of the story and see the wonderful pictures! I miss you!

it's just me....searching for hidden treasure said...

so glad you had a good glad you're back

KBH said...

Oh I just love story/picture blogs. Keep it up,can't wait to hear the rest of this trip. Then it's the turkey day trip right??!? :)

My new umberella!